January 06, 2005

Derik's Pesto

I haven't tried this pesto on anything except my finger, but I bet it would be good on pasta, salmon, maybe even a piece of bread. I made a huge batch of it once (and one time only) so hopefully my memory still serves me correctly.

You need:
Pistachios
Arugula
Garlic
Grated Parmesan
Lemon Juice
Salt / Pepper
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Pistachio Oil (if you can find it)

First you want to toast the pistachios in the oven for a bit. You can season them with salt and pepper before you pop them in the oven if you want.

After the pistachios are good and toasted (but not burned! careful you don't forget about them, they're pricey), you should drop in a couple big handfuls of arugula into your cuisinart, plus the pistachio nuts, minced garlic and grated parm. Don't overfill the cuisinart or the blades won't be able to do their business.

Turn on the cuisinart and add some lemon juice and salt and pepper to the mix. Slowly add olive oil while the cuisinart is going -- that should help the blades if they're not mincing appropriately. Once they've caught, you can add another handful or two of arugula.

Keep blending, but stop every thirty seconds or so to give it a taste. You'll probably end up wanting to add more parmesan and olive oil until you've got a nice flavor and good consistency.

When all is said and done, you can drop in some of that pistachio oil that you may or may not have found at the local grocery store. If not, no worries. If yes, mazel tov. Only pulse the cuisinart for a few seconds after you've added the pistachio oil.

That should do it. I'm not sure what happens next since I've never actually eaten this stuff, but as I mentioned, you can't go wrong putting it on linguini or some salmon.